The toughest part of owning a puppy is training. In our survey of over 1000 dog owners, 73% thought training was the most stressful part of having a dog.
But, training is important to make sure your dog behaves well and stays healthy, both physically and mentally. That’s why we created Puppy Academy, to help make things easier for you.
Get free expert guidance on their training, and give your pup the life skills they need to grow up happy and healthy. Our online classes are hosted live by expert vets, behaviourists, and accredited dog trainers, with 12 topics to choose from. From toilet training to recall, they’ll cover it all. The best part? It’s all free with Napo puppy insurance.
Training Helps Protect Your Pet
Almost half of all accident claims involve puppies under six months old. Training teaches your pup how you expect them to behave in certain situations, or when given certain cues, helping to prevent mishaps.
Teaching your pup boundaries can prevent them from exploring unsupervised, and “leave” commands can stop them from snacking on things they shouldn’t. Plus, good recall can bring your pup away from potential dangers and back to you.
Best of all, you’ll build a strong bond between you and your puppy as you train. That quality time together brings you closer, and provides much-needed mental stimulation for your pup. (Which should help tire them out so they might sleep at night!)
5 Top Tips for Puppy Training
To help you make the most out of your puppy training, here are key tips from dog behaviourists.
- Consistency is key, be patient and keep practising.
- Establish a routine. Sleeping and feeding at certain times means predictable toilet habits, so you know when to take your pup out. Avoid accidents, and help them associate outside with where to pee!
- Use plenty of positivity! Reward your puppy with praise, tasty treats, and playtime when they do something good.
- Use food from their meals to reward them to prevent weight gain and regulate their appetite.
- Don’t punish your pup. They’re doing behaviours normal for dogs, that we humans think are “bad”. They can’t link the punishment to the behaviour, which can cause anxiety or other behavioural issues, and damage your bond.
Training doesn’t need to be tough with Napo and Puppy Academy. Get expert help whenever you need it with 24/7 vet and behaviourist calls, and unlimited access to Puppy Academy – all free forever with Napo puppy insurance. Join Puppy Academy today.